Having a fire sweep through your New Hampshire home can be genuinely terrifying, and the stress does not stop when the flames are put out. Just the thought of trying to sort out everything that you will need to deal with in the wake of a fire can be overwhelming. How do you move forward after a fire? At SERVPRO, we are always ready to put our expertise to work for you.
After a fire in your New Hampshire home, security is your first priority. Take the necessary steps to make sure that you, your family and your pets are safe and secure. Once that is accomplished, you can focus your energies on your property and the process of restoring it to the place that you call home.
MAKING THE RIGHT CALL
When it comes to picking up the pieces after a fire, the first tool you reach for should be your phone or mobile device. That is because you will need to get in touch with several different professionals as quickly as possible to secure their assistance. You will want to inform your insurance company immediately to start the process of filing a claim. You will likely be asked to provide pictures, an inventory of the damage and receipts for the inevitable expense incurred after a fire. Also, you will want to contact your mortgage company and inform them about the fire.
You will also need to reach out promptly to a restoration company to line up the professional fire damage restoration services that your home will require. At SERVPRO of Dover-Rochester, we understand that any delay in responding to fire or water damage allows the damage to continue to spread, so we offer 24/7 emergency services. We are prepared to answer whenever our help is needed.
WHEN DANGER LINGERS
Even after the fire is gone, the danger remains. That is because both the flames and the water used to put them out can create hazardous conditions. After a fire, the structural integrity of your house might be compromised. Electrocution hazards might be lurking. Toxic gasses and residues may have been generated as components of the home burned. Wildlife like snakes, rodents, and other animals may have entered the structure. More subtle health threats like mold and bacteria will quickly invade as well.
While you can take pictures for insurance purposes from a safe distance, it is best not to enter the scene of the disaster until it has been deemed reliable by knowledgeable professionals. Even then, you should be careful to wear closed-toe shoes or boots, long sleeves, long pants, gloves and any other recommended protective gear.
MORE THAN FLAMES
While the inherent danger of a fire scene is a good reason to bring in qualified restoration professionals, it is not the only one.
Cleaning up after a fire is surprisingly complicated because the damage is not just a result of the flames. Even spaces and items not directly impacted by the flames can be damaged.
Smoke from the fire naturally seeks out cooler spaces and rises, leaving its mark on materials in areas that escaped the flames in the form of corrosive, staining chemicals and unpleasant odors. Likewise, the soot and ash generated by the flames also cause staining, corrosion and smoky smells. Originally deposited by the fire, they can be carried through the home as people move around it. Even air movement via fans or the HVAC system can help these damaging materials spread. Finally, there is the harm done by the water used to suppress the fire. Water damage can cause wood to split and warp, stain fabric and upholstery, crumble drywall, ruin electronics, and fuel unhealthy mold growth. With so many types of damage, it is vital that you bring in knowledgeable professionals who can sort everything out and develop an effective restoration plan.
WHY CHOOSE SERVPRO?
We are delighted to be leaders in the restoration industry, and we work diligently to provide the quality services our customers
need when a fire has damaged their homes or businesses. Our team of highly skilled restoration specialists includes technicians who are certified in smoke and fire restoration, fabric and upholstery cleaning, odor control, and water damage restoration, and we make sure that they have the equipment and resources necessary to do the job correctly.
At SERVPRO of Dover-Rochester, we always take a “restore first” approach, which means that we do our best to return your residential property to its pre-loss condition by utilizing specialized techniques and professional-grade equipment. While some replacements may be inevitable, our focus on restoration whenever possible allows you to salvage more of your cherished personal property and reduces restoration costs.
FIRE DAMAGE REPAIR & RESTORATION SERVICES
When you call SERVPRO of Dover-Rochester for help with fire damage, we will:
- Assess the damage. We will inspect the scene, evaluate the disaster that is readily visible and identify any hidden issues. This expert assessment enables us to create an effective action plan for the needed restoration work.
- Assist with securing the property. Fire often compromises a structure’s building envelope. If necessary, we can board up broken windows or walls and cover damaged roofs with tarps to help prevent further destruction.
- Remove water. If firefighting efforts have left excess water behind, we can remove it and see that the structure and its contents are adequately dried.
- Remove smoke and soot. We will select the appropriate techniques and equipment to remove these damaging residues wherever they may be.
- Clean and deodorize. We will use various professional techniques to clean and sanitize everything salvageable and bring in industrial air scrubbers and fogging equipment to eliminate unpleasant odors.
Local Business Spotlight: Dover, Rochester, Somersworth New Hampshire
At SERVPRO of Dover-Rochester, we have the experience, training, and equipment needed to return a home or business that has been damaged by fire to a safe, healthy environment. If you need professional fire damage restoration services, contact us today to explore our services.
74 Industrial Park Dover, NH 03820
Recent blog posts
- 11/30/2017 – Wood Stove And Fireplace Damage Avoidance Tips For Your Rochester Home
- 11/6/2017 – Insulating Pipes: Protect Your Rochester Home’s Plumbing from Water Damage
- 11/1/2017 – Why Inventory Matters When It Comes To Water Damage In Dover Restaurants
- 10/27/2017 – Fire Damage Cleanup in Your Rochester Home
- 10/20/2017 – Remediating Flood Damage in Rochester
- 10/2/2017 – There are Different Reasons Behind the Development of Mold Damage in Your Dover Attic